onsdag 30. oktober 2013

Storytelling


My mother used to tell me bed-time stories to make me go to sleep,the only problem was that these stories were doing the opposite to my despair!

much of those Norwegian Folk stories written by Asbjørnsen & Moe,is to compare with similar storries told by Brother Grimms.
they contain often small helpless children ending up in mistrusted places with  cruel villains ,monsters and witches! 
the scenes are often set in dark woods and spaces where there are nowhere to run !
I was obsessed to get  more glimpse of those storries where ,ther was a beautiful princsess that were come to an rescue from the evil and brought to an happy ending!
so in my dreams ,then when I  was only a 4 year old maybe,I….to overcome my nightmares contaminated with bad witches and trolls,I become a some kind of a knight ,and with power to Fly!
.And always flew higher,and faster than all the witches i.e.and this was long before I even had picked up a comic
with Superman!
as of course he would later be one of my favorite heroes until Luke Skywalker came on silverscreen in 77´!!!





There was one particular charter that had also I great Impact on my belief in magic of story telling,that was the book of Price Valiant by Harold Foster.

I was only 5 or six when I heritage my book "Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur".
this book had everything! adventure,hero knights,villains,evil witches,magics,sexy seducing enchantress,and most important of all the scene was set in the medeval viking ages! 
but most of all beside the written stories there was those mind blowing illustrations of Hall Foster that blew my mind!,and I think he was actual the reason why I later wanted to draw and become an Artist!

then there was A film that especially turned my mind over, that kept my thinking IS IT REALLY OR IS   
IT REAL  FANTASY? (IN MOVING DRAWING PICTURES)
that was of course Disney´s "Sleeping Beauty"  and "Snow white"
we also have to remember that this were in a time when we kids only got some good animations on TV screens on the main evening Saturday,and when we first saw this great Disney movies at the theatre ,these movies, struck us like big time lightning ! and gave at least me the inspiration to make something …..colorful stories! 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar